Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Start a business or get a job?

What do you see yourself doing five, ten, even fifteen years from now? Hell, what about even after college?

The question rolls through my mind every hour of every day.

Should I be focusing my time on starting a business or looking for worthwhile internships?
If I spend all my time and energy on researching trends, problems, industries, etc. will I find that million dollar idea? If so, why am I wasting my time at an internship to build my resume?

After a rigorous conversation over Gmail chat, I came to re-realize something.

There is still time.

As long as I am moving forward, I will be successful. But, I will always have that drive and hunger for more. We need to cultivate it into something productive.

As far as starting a business goes, it will be inevitable. I just need to figure out what business, industry, and when to jump in.

Until then, I need to build my resources and contacts.

One possible way of doing this would be to get into consulting. I've always had a deep passion for strategy, and being a "green" personality type, I know that at work I am a conceptual thinker. What if I go into strategic consulting for a few years to generate contacts and credibility, build a business on the side, make sound investments, and when the time is right move out of the big corporate job into my own part-time consulting and run my business? All while searching for that million dollar opportunity. Sounds like the life to me.

For now let's focus on what I can do today. Experience, training, and reading.

I'm beginning my research on corporate cost savings, energy savings, and the green industry. Where can value be created during this recession for businesses? Is it green? Where is spending hemorrhaging? Also, what are people complaining about? What is the problem?

These are the questions to be answered in the near future...

No comments: